A number of people have asked me why they should hire a professional pet sitter instead of kennelling their pet or having a friend drop by. Kennelling can work for some animals but cats in particular are quite sensitive to changes in their environment. And friends may not always be available.
So why should you hire a professional pet sitter for your upcoming vacation?
- The pet sitter will visit your animals in their own home allowing them to stay in an environment they are comfortable in. They are free to roam about instead of being crated or penned up for a portion of the day.
- By keeping your pets (cats in particular) in their familiar environment you reduce their stress levels which in turn inhibits problem behaviours such as digestive upset, obsessive cleaning that can lead to loss of fur, or spraying to mark their territory as they smell other cats. There is also a much lower chance of any disease transmission or fights (specifically with dogs).
- No drop off or pick up; your animals are ready to greet you when you walk in the door!
- While I am sure your friends love your pets, they may have plans of their own and not be overly enthused about being asked, yet again, to look after Fluffy.
- Reputable pet sitters will have insurance and bonding, meaning that your pets and your house are covered under their policy, creating extra peace of mind. Make sure to ask for proof of this.
- We also have training in pet first aid in the event that your animal falls ill and requires immediate help on the way to the veterinarian. This training can make a big difference.
- We deal with a variety of temperaments on a regular basis and are well equipped to handle those pets that can be a bit grumpy at times.
- We keep a house key on file. In the odd chance that you are locked out of your house, give us a call!
We look forward to meeting you and your pets!